FA - Finance
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): No Travel
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
Account III - GAAP Financial Reporting Position Summary
Senior Accountant in the AIG Life and Retirement (L&R) GAAP Financial Reporting group will be involved in GAAP accounting and reporting functions, as well as special projects. The primary responsibilities include:
- Preparing financial statements for monthly, quarterly and annual reporting periods.
- Maintaining and implementing standard accounting practices in accordance with company policy and US GAAP.
- Developing GAAP compliant ledger transactions for L&R product accounting and consolidation reporting for SEC and stand alone insurance company financials.
- Assisting in maintenance of general ledger and related reports, analytics, etc.
- Preparing/consolidating governmental/regulatory filings for the consolidated and stand alone L&R companies.
- In collaboration with team members, developing support documentation compliant with AIG accounting policies and independent audit requirements.
The position requires a proactive, detail oriented, reliable individual who is focused on evaluating data in order to identify issues and opportunities to improve existing processes, and has a willingness to collaborate with the team. Critical thinking, organizational skills and the ability to work in fast paced, changing environment are necessary skills for this position.
Organization Structure and Interfaces
This position reports to the Manager of GAAP Financial Reporting and works closely with Actuarial, Investment Accounting, Accounting Operations, Audit and other internal and external business partners.
- Timely and accurate reporting for monthly, quarterly and annual reporting periods, including stand-alone GAAP audits for 4 insurance entities.
- Maintain quality standards, accurate and complete documentation and accounting controls.
- Prepare and review monthly journal entries, financial reports and trend reports.Perform analysis and research anomalies to understand trends and variances.
- Research new product accounting and communicate with appropriate staff to resolve issues and/or escalate issues when appropriate.
- Ensure all reporting deadlines, due dates and requirements set by financial management are met.Maintain appropriately documented support and monitor internal controls.Respond to ad hoc requests as needed.
- Identify process improvement opportunities to automate and streamline workflow and strengthen controls.
- Develop relationships with team members and members of other departments to facilitate resolution of issues and stay informed of potential future issues.
- Support the Manager with special projects
The Ideal Candidate will have
- 4 + years in accounting, reporting and analysis required
- Bachelor's degree in accounting CPA certification a plus
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal, enabling them to work effectively with team members
- Experience working in a mid-to-large, complex company environment is preferred.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize task, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.