Director Accounting Policy
FA - Finance
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: Yes
Fortitude Group Services, Inc
Director of Accounting Policy is a senior position within Fortitude Re and will provide leadership around a myriad of complex accounting matters including those arising from strategic transactions. The successful candidate will lead Fortitude's interpretation, implementation, adherence and disclosure for current, new and emerging accounting standards under U.S. GAAP. Additionally, this position will provide thought leadership around new and proposed accounting standards including potential implications to Fortitude's businesses.
Organization Structure and Interfaces
This position reports to the Deputy CFO and is responsible for leading will have significant interaction with senior leadership, including the CFO and CEO as well as functional unit leads (e.g. investments, actuarial, capital planning). The position will collaborate on the practical implications and available alternatives on technical accounting matters. The successful candidate will have a high degree of gravitas combined with the ability to interact at the highest levels of the Fortitude Re and AIG finance organizations in synthesizing complex accounting issues. In addition, the position frequently represents the organization in interactions with internal and external auditors, peer companies and industry groups.
· Responsible for oversight and consistent application of US GAAP.
· Develop thought leadership on all new and emerging accounting pronouncements and cascade throughout the organization; representing the finance & accounting organization within AIG. Represent Fortitude Re on developing industry accounting matters.
· Lead implementation of new accounting pronouncements for US GAAP. This includes developing project plans and liaising with finance staff and other functional areas to ensure smooth implementation.
· Oversee and ensure accurate and complete documentation related to accounting matters, including the assessment of acceptable alternatives to develop Fortitude Re's position. Partner with functional area leaders in reaching conclusions.
· Create, maintain and update Fortitude Re's Accounting Policy Manual.
· Prepare quarterly summary of key accounting and disclosure matters for presentation to the Audit Committee.
· Provide oversight and guidance to ensure that the organization's accounting procedures and documentation comply with acceptable standards of accounting and provide accurate and meaningful disclosure of our accounting policy and financial information. This includes keeping business leaders and staff in the organization up to date on emerging accounting issues and their impact on our business and our processes.
Supporting Performance Objectives
· Develop and manage effective internal relationships.
· Create opportunities for accounting teams via mentorship and leadership support. Actively identify and develop programs to meet the educational and advancement needs of the staff.
- Stay abreast of emerging accounting standards and stay informed of trends in the external marketplace.
- Develop and manage effective external relationships for purposes of networking.
The Ideal Candidate Should Have
· Minimum of 15 years insurance industry experience (life or property casualty experience required)
· Big 4 Public Accounting experience
· SEC reporting experience (preferred)
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills
· Ability to communicate effectively
· Ability to manage a global team
· Ability to simplify complex issues for discussion and decision making
· Aptitude to multitask, handling multiple projects simultaneously
· Must be able to make decisions after considering alternatives
· Must be a creative thinker
· Strong presentation skills
· Excellent team player
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.