Manager of Strategy, Life & Retirement - New York
PA - Planning & Acquisitions
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
Manager of Strategy is a professional that will be responsible for assisting the L&R Strategy team in developing, communicating, executing, measuring, and sustaining the strategic vision and strategic plans for the L&R business. Manager of Strategy will report directly to Head of Strategy.
Head of Strategy, AIG Life & Retirement is an executive directly reporting to the Chief Executive Officer of Life & Retirement and is a standing member of the L&R Executive Team. The team also includes a Director and Associate. Head of Strategy, Director of Strategy and Associate of Strategy are collectively referred to in this document as the “L&R Strategy team”
Your Contribution at AIG:
As a Leader, you are respected for your deep technical expertise and/or ability to oversee programs and processes. You balance the needs of multiple stakeholders, making sound decisions using data, analysis, experience, and judgment, along with a risk mindset. Ultimately, you take ownership for key outcomes.
- Assist in formulating a rolling strategic vision for the L&R portfolio and ensure development of single business unit strategies within the L&R portfolio in collaboration with business and functional leadership
- Play a role of assisting L&R Strategy team in required analytics and modeling for development of the strategic vision and plans
- Liaise with various members of the L&R and AIG organization to collect necessary data, information and research required to develop the strategic vision and plans
- Assist the L&R Strategy team and L&R management in developing materials that communicate strategic vision and plans in discussions with AIG's executive management team, AIG Board of Directors as well as any external stakeholders
- Drive the transition of formulated strategic vision into actionable and quantitative strategic plans
- Assist the L&R Strategy team and business CEO's, L&R functional leaders and appropriate AIG corporate functions execute strategic plans through four key paths: organic investment, joint- ventures, partnerships and mergers & acquisitions (M&A)
- As it relates to M&A, JVs and partnerships, assist L&R Strategy team in developing an institutionalized system to screen and identify potential targets / partners that align with the L&R strategy and through this process create a “bench” of potential transactional ideas for execution
- Secondly as it relates to M&A, JVs and partnerships, be a key member of the L&R Strategy team in supporting L&R business teams with diligence, target review and overall evaluation of transactional opportunities
- Help Director of Strategy in mobilizing and project managing teams of internal and external individuals charged with executing strategic plans
- Work with L&R Finance team to enable continuous review of the L&R business composition from multiple perspectives (e.g., growth, profitability, risk, capital intensity, cash flow) through analyzing and tracking multi-year portfolio and business unit-level financial metrics and financial plans
- Ensure consistency of the financial metrics with L&R overall financial goals
- Help Director of Strategy coordinate with appropriate corporate functions, such as finance, controllers and ERM to ensure alignment with AIG's financial goals and company-wide internal and external metrics
- Help L&R Strategy team and L&R executives build out a principles-based process to be flexible in order to react to rapid changes resulting from globalization, regulatory matters, competitive and innovative pressures
- Assist in establishing a simple and repeatable process to update strategic vision for L&R portfolio and strategic plans for individual business units
- Mentor and assist in professional development for the junior members of the L&R Strategy team (Associate)
Key Qualifications and Requirements:
The candidate should have a very strong quantitative background. A high-level of integrity and trust is essential for this role.
Additional requirements include:
- At least 3-5 years of business experience; ideally at a top-tier investment banking or strategy consulting firm or a M&A / Strategy department of a publicly-traded and global insurance firm
- Comprehensive awareness of the L&R business, insurance in general as well as adjacent businesses within the context of competitive position and global regulatory environment. Life & retirement industry experience highly preferred
- Top-tier “financial modeler” with significant experience in financial modeling in the insurance industry, inclusive of knowledge of accounting and actuarial concepts
- Strong presentation development skills and ability to develop clear and concise analysis and recommendations to senior management
- Very strong research and analytical skills required for market entry analysis, product analysis, distribution analysis and skills required for participating in transactional business diligence as the business representative
- Action Oriented - enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation
- Bachelor's degree required
About AIG Life & Retirement Business:
AIG Life & Retirement consists of market-leading domestic businesses and a small but growing portfolio of international businesses. Domestic businesses, which include Individual Retirement, Group Retirement, Life Insurance and Institutional Markets, are all in market-leading positions and are developing strategic plans to further capture profitable market share. AIG Life & Retirement generates ~$30 billion in annual premiums and deposits and nearly $3.4 billion of annual pre-tax operating income.
24 days of paid time off annually (PTO), holiday pay, automatic 3% 401K contribution. Additional 6% company 401K match program (100% vesting from day 1), medical, dental, vision, life insurance and more....
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.