Chief Compliance Officer, VALIC
CP - Compliance
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: Yes
American General Life Insurance Company
The newly created role of the Chief Compliance Officer - VALIC is to engage with and provide strategic advice to business partners at an executive level. The position reports to the Chief Compliance Officer - Group Retirement. The responsibilities of the position include the following:
- Lead implementation and own sustainability of the compliance program for VALIC including:
- Executive level engagement of the full value chain of the business from product development, through the marketing/bid process and sale of insurance and securities products and services to maintenance of the in-force book and plan commitments.
- Establish and periodically review policies and procedures for Group Retirement plan compliance.
- End-to-end compliance oversight including developing and maintaining effective controls designed to monitor the effectiveness of the compliance program; ensuring and supporting the review of the appropriateness of the compliance system and procedures and implement necessary remediation for any identified deficiencies.
- Other responsibilities include:
- Maintain a strong presence in the business to promote an environment where individual staff will seek compliance guidance when they have questions. Provide guidance to management, staff and compliance officers on corporate and business compliance standards. Provide compliance guidance to operations, claims, underwriting, and the distribution function.
- Manage staff and ensure qualified local compliance officers and other professional staff have the requisite knowledge, experience and personal qualities to be able to carry out their duties effectively. Ensure that compliance officers possess a sound understanding of relevant laws, regulations, rules, standards, internal guidelines and Code of Conduct and their practical impact on the business operations.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of the business and its activities in order to ensure adequate compliance oversight and resources as the business needs evolve over time; advise the Division on emerging compliance issues.
- Periodic reporting to senior management, boards of directors and other Company stakeholders.
- Participate in the legislative/regulatory monitoring process, including providing oversight regarding the design and implementation of compliance solutions to address legal and regulatory requirements.
- Participate and where appropriate coordinate and lead resolution of significant regulatory inquiries and customer complaints.
Candidate Qualifications -
The ideal person for this role should have managerial experience and knowledge in managing a compliance department, including maintaining policies and procedures, overseeing compliance risk assessment processes, implementing compliance training programs, and monitoring and remediating potential violations of policy or law. Candidates will be expected to possess the following professional and personal attributes:
- A strong educational background including an undergraduate degree and a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience strongly preferred.
- MBA or Law Degree and FINRA series 7, 24 and 65/66 licenses are highly desirable.
- Significant experience and understanding of the retirement and securities industry including knowledge of insurance regulations across the spectrum of AIG's Life & Retirement businesses, including retirement plans, life insurance, fixed and variable annuities and mutual funds.
- Knowledge of and experience with the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 and Department of Labor rules applicable to the retirement business preferred.
- Familiarity with the knowledge of the mutual fund industry, from a product, corporate governance, compliance and administrative perspective including knowledge of Federal Securities regulations, e.g., the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
- Experience and knowledge of FINRA, SEC, state securities and firm-specific rules and regulations.
- Prior experience working at a broker/dealer or with registered investment advisors preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and work effectively and cross-functionally within a highly-matrix organization with employees at all levels and in particular key stakeholders and legal and compliance professionals supporting the AIG Life & Retirement businesses.
- Self-starter with the ability to meet or exceed deadlines, prioritize, multi-task, and maintain flexibility in fast-paced, changing environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to confront conflict and difficult issues in a professional, assertive and proactive manner.
- Excellent organizational, written, verbal and presentation skills including the ability to interpret and communicate compliance guidance internally and to effectively communicate with regulators.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.