Director - Actuarial Data Support
IT - Information Technology
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: Yes
American General Life Insurance Company
Position Description - Director - Actuarial Data Management
The Director of Actuarial Data Management is a key position within AIG Life and Retirement's Finance Actuarial organization, supporting and leading data initiatives for multiple actuarial functions, including Experience Studies, Valuation, Cash Flow Testing and Reinsurance. The position, leads a staff of nine individuals located in Houston, Nashville, and Bangalore, India in acquiring, cleaning, maintaining and making data available to the actuarial community. The position reports to the Vice President of Experience Studies.
Job duties include:
- Direct supervision of staff of various levels and various skills in performance of job duties
- Maintenance, expansion and updating of data warehoused in Sybase, including overseeing access rights to the database. The position serves both as backup dba for the warehouse as well as table owner for multiple tables within the warehouse.
- Updating and maintaining key indicator tables for reinsurance arrangements within Sybase and communicating changes to downstream users
- Overseeing, maintaining and updating various BI tools used within the actuarial department, including Cognos
- Overseeing user access to various valuation systems
- Serving as actuarial approver for changes to various mainframe systems and programs supporting actuarial functions
- Maintaining key tables used for controlling valuation and experience studies output, including plan mapping tables; factor table uploads to the mainframe; transaction definition files; and distribution channel updates
- Serve as point person for interfacing with IT and operations on system changes to ensure that actuarial needs are anticipated and met. This includes both inforce management and new product support.
- Monitor production jobs to ensure they are completed on time; ensure close dates and production schedules are updated and communicated with operations and actuarial communities
The candidate should be familiar with working in both database and mainframe environments, and should be adept in multitasking and working with multiple priorities. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential to this position. The position reports through the Experience Studies team, however much of the support work done is for non-Experience Studies units. The candidate must be able to deal with staff in remote locations, including international team members. The position will be responsible for setting and measuring performance goals for their staff and will make compensation recommendations for the team. The candidate should have flexibility as actuarial data needs will expand in the coming years, beyond current capabilities, and creativity in directing the team to meet those needs will be critical.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.