Director - Actuarial Data Management
AC - Actuarial
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: Yes
American General Life Insurance Company
Position can be based in Nashville, Houston, Berkeley Heights, NJ or Woodland Hills, CA
The purpose of this role is to serve as the IT data sourcing relationship lead for AIG's life model development actuaries. This role will provide leadership in the development of the Actuarial Data Store (ADS) managed by the Actuarial Information Technology group. It will partner with AIG's IT team to procure data and design a controlled, efficient environment that supports all actuarial data modeling needs.
The Actuarial Data Team needs a strong individual with experience managing databases, data warehouses, reporting tools, and approval processes. The candidate should have a background in insurance and an understanding of business processes. Excellent communication and management skills, as well as the ability to work across business units, is necessary.
This data sourcing role will support the actuarial department's growing data needs, automation of data intake and analysis. This resource will be responsible for translating stakeholder and model developer data requirements to IT following best following best practices. This position is required as we enter a new stage of increased need for data analysis in actuarial projects. The position will also manage a team dedicated to this effort.
- Work with IT to build and maintain a production data environment supporting actuarial data needs, with end-to-end responsibility for oversight of the data procurement lifecycle, including development, QA and production data environments.
- Work with other data team members across insurance product types to develop and deliver common solutions for data transformation and delivery where sensible
- Serve as a liaison to communicate Actuarial Data issues to leadership
- Create and oversee development of formal data requirements on life insurance products (term, whole life, interest-sensitive) from multiple data sources, including administrative systems, to be procured for use in actuarial projection models
- Perform data validation, including the creation and execution of test plans by comparing to alternate data sources, verifying transformation algorithms, ensuring internal consistency and quality of procured data
- Work closely with IT SME's and model development actuaries to document administrative system policy mechanics
- Coordinate with administrative system DBAs on identification and extraction of source data
- Prepare Data dictionary
- Ensure repeatable, controlled load process for all data processes.
- Manage a team to achieve objectives
Position Requirements - the Ideal Candidate will have:
- At least 7 years of actuarial data and concept or 7 years IT experience with direct support of life insurance business and excellent understanding of products
- Background with insurance administrative systems strongly preferred
- Extensive experience working with SQLServer and Oracle
- Proficiency in authoring/reading data models
- Proven ability in the development and oversight of data governance protocols is strongly desired
- Demonstrated success working in cross-functional collaborative teams and in working with senior management
- Experience documenting formal requirements for large and complex data processing and analysis projections
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Knowledge of GGY AXIS a plus
- Self-motivated, with the ability to lead a team and progress with minimal supervision
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.