Tax Counsel - US International Tax Advisory
FA - Finance
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): No Travel
Relocation Provided: No
AIG Employee Services, Inc.
This role will support the Senior Tax Counsel on the US Tax Advisory team by assisting with tax research, drafting memos and opinions, preparing PowerPoint presentations, implementing projects and documenting U.S. tax analysis. The majority of the work will relate to international out-bound tax analysis for the company's global footprint, reporting to Head of Tax Advisory - International. Some work will be with other areas of the Tax Advisory group: US Insurance, Corporate, and Investments & Capital Markets.
Key responsibilities include:
- International Restructuring Transactions- Advise on U.S. tax consequences and coordinate the local tax consequences of internal restructuring transactions, as well as advising on the tax-efficient structuring of deals.Some work with external mergers and acquisitions are also likely. Review and negotiate agreements.Prepare memos, presentation materials and formal written advice.
- General International Advice - Advise on U.S. federal income tax consequences of business activities and proposals.Role will be expected to identify issues and provide business-friendly tax-efficient solutions.This may include interacting directly with key business people and being able to explain complex international tax issues to nontax audiences.
- General Tax Planning - Research, analysis and implementation of potential investments and transactions to optimize direct and indirect tax posture. Legal analysis to assess the most tax efficient means of achieving target structures, as well as to identify any potential tax planning opportunities.Preparation and drafting of memos, opinions, presentation materials and regulatory submissions.Review and creation of Excel models to assist in analysis and tracking of tax planning strategies.
- Tax Reporting and Audit Defense Preparation - Ensure complete communication of all transactions and investments to Tax Reporting Group to enable accurate and timely reporting in U.S. GAAP financial statements, Statutory Financials and tax returns. Prepare and maintain adequate documentation of all transactions in preparation for future audits.
At a minimum, 3-4 years as a tax associate at a law firm or in a corporate tax-planning function at Big Four accounting firm.
J.D. or L.L.M. degree from an accredited U.S. law school and license to practice law required.
- be honest, possess integrity and have a strong work ethic.
- have strong organizational, planning, analytical and listening skills.
- be process and detail oriented, a self-starter and a problem solver, and follow-through on commitments.
- be intelligent, proactive, flexible, adaptable, collaborative, enthusiastic and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- possess excellent oral and written communication skills, teamwork, negotiation and persuasion skills.
- be open to criticism and to new ideas
- experience with US multinational insurance companies and/or financial services companies a plus.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.