Insurance Regulatory Counsel
LG - Legal, Regulatory & Gov't Affairs
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
AIG PC Global Services, Inc
AIG's Global Legal, Compliance, Regulatory and Government Affairs (GLCR) department is comprised of attorneys and other professionals providing high quality advisory and transactional support with integrity and objectivity across all parts of the organization. The team ensures an operating environment that minimizes legal, regulatory and reputational risks and complies with all laws and regulations and AIG policies & procedures.
This is a global, diverse and award-winning team that has been recognized for its leadership and innovative solutions. You will also be able to participate in AIG's award-winning pro bono program.
We are currently in need of an Insurance Regulatory Counsel in our New York office.
This job provides the prospective candidate the opportunity to work with various teams throughout AIG including Underwriting (multiple lines of business), Comptrollers, Investments, Regulatory Reporting, Tax, and Litigation as well as regulators.
This is a dynamic and client-facing position for a self-starting, intellectually curious lawyer who is willing to dive in to a number of challenging projects while at the same time tending to ordinary course matters needed to support the day-to-day responsibilities. The job requires an individual who can multi-task, manage and prioritize work flows. In this challenging and dynamic role, you will have the opportunity to demonstrate and expand your legal expertise by being responsible for various aspects within AIG's regulatory team.
This position is primarily dedicated to providing insurance regulatory support for operations of AIG's Property Casualty business. Areas of responsibility will include support of underwriting, comptrollers and other groups that need assistance in addressing particular aspects of state insurance law or federal law, as applicable. This will include drafting of filings with applicable regulators. The position will also require legal research, general policy review and counsel of business partners.
Responsibilities of this position will include:
- Manage and oversee insurance policy rate and form filings.
- Manage and oversee market conduct and financial exams.
- Oversee preparation of other regulatory filings (e.g., Holding Company, and company licensing)
- Partner and interact with state regulators.
- Manage department's handling of consumer complaints, and information requests.
- Provide guidance concerning financial statement disclosures
- Oversee monitoring of insurance laws and insurance department actions.
- Effectively work in a team environment, closely collaborate and provide team support with peers across Legal, Compliance and other control functions.
The ideal candidate should have:
- 5- 10 years of major law firm or in-house experience in the insurance industry.
- Experience handling insurance regulatory matters and demonstrable experience in one or more of the areas of responsibility.
- Problem-solving skills that demonstrate ability to critically evaluate and analyze issues and recommend well thought-out and/or creative solutions.
- Experience with drafting, mark-ups and negotiation of agreements.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment and to find creative solutions on diverse matters requiring complex legal and strategic analysis.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Strong organizational, time management and project management skills.
- Capable of working independently and/or as part of a team.
- Knowledgeable about regulatory and risk management functions
- Good judgment and ability to provide timely legal advice.
- Ability to identify and develop solutions to legal and business risks.
- JD required.
- Admittance to at least one state
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.