Associate Actuary, Finance/Actuarial Strategy
AC - Actuarial
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: Yes
American General Life Insurance Company
Associate Actuary - Finance/Actuarial Strategy
American International Group, Inc. (AIG) is a leading international insurance organization serving customers in more than 130 countries and jurisdictions. AIG companies serve commercial, institutional, and individual customers through one of the most extensive worldwide property-casualty networks of any insurer. In addition, AIG companies are leading providers of life insurance and retirement services in the United States.
AIG Life and Retirement is one of the largest life insurance organizations in the U.S., and provides protection, investment and income solutions needed for financial and retirement security.
Your Future Team:
The Individual Retirement finance team is responsible for managing, planning, and reporting all aspects of the actuarial and finance value chain for the Individual Retirement business which is part of AIG's Life and Retirement business.
Finance professionals play a critical role in supporting the demands of multiple constituents, including AIG executives, regulators, and stakeholders, while staying at the forefront of accounting and reporting requirements and compliance strategies.
The Finance Strategy team for Individual Retirement is responsible for leading and facilitating strategic initiatives such as the development and implementation of granular actionable profitability metrics, evaluation of capital management strategies, formulation and implementation of ALM and asset allocation strategies for our annuity products.
Your contribution at AIG:
- In-force management and profitability measurement: you will be contributing to initiatives such as evaluation of potential reinsurance transactions, tracking and attribution of cost of funds by granular block of business across Fixed, Index, and Variable annuities, sensitivity process across economic / Stat / GAAP lenses.
- You will work with the Head of Finance Strategy to articulate, lead, and coordinate the development of capital management strategy for Individual Retirement - i.e. understanding of economic and Stat capital profile and sensitivities, analyzing impact of potential strategies to mitigate sensitivities, and recommending strategies (hedging, ALM, reinsurance) to achieve desired capital sensitivity profile
- You will play a key role in coordinating the development and implementation of ALM/SAA strategy for Individual Retirement, partnering with Actuarial ALM team, hedging team, Investments, and ERM
What we are looking for:
As a Leader, you are respected for your deep technical expertise and/or ability to oversee programs and processes. You balance the needs of multiple stakeholders, making sound decisions using data, analysis, experience, and judgment, along with a risk mindset. Ultimately, you take ownership for key outcomes.
A good level of experience in the annuity business and a strong understanding of the key drivers of risk and profitability for Variable, Index, and Fixed annuity lines of business
A proven track record of thought leadership on key financial aspects of the annuity business, strong communication skills and ability to articulate issues and potential solutions, strong project management and organizational skills
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in Finance, Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Economics, or a related field
- FSA, near FSA, CFA a plus
Other knowledge/experience highly desired:
- Capital Markets
- Risk Management
- Annuity riders particularly GMLBs and GMDBs
- Financial reporting (GAAP, Stat, Economic) and financial modeling
- Actuarial modeling platform such as GGY AXIS
- Programming skills in C++, Access or SQL
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
Personal attributes of a successful candidate:
- Self-starter and ability to work independently
- Highly motivated and results-oriented
- Attention to details
- Enjoy working with multidisciplinary teams
- Capable of working on multiple projects, delivering high quality work and meeting tight deadlines.
Woodland Hills is a district in the city of Los Angeles, California, United States. Woodland Hills is bordered by Calabasas, Tarzana and Topanga. It is a short hop from the famous beaches of Malibu and is short distance from center city Los Angeles.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.