VP, Risks & Controls Officer
OP - Operations
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
Your future team
AIG's Group Retirement business is a leading retirement plan provider and a pioneer in the field, spanning more than half a century. We wrote the industry's first 403(b) plan for a public school district in 1965. Today we serve nearly two million individuals, helping them plan for and enjoy a secure retirement. AIG is a leading provider of retirement plans for Healthcare, Government, Higher Education, K-12 and other not-for-profit institutions — serving those who serve others.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, VALIC Financial Advisors (VFA) Broker Dealer, you will have the opportunity to drive the overall strategy and approach to design, implement and optimize overall internal controls functions for all VFA functions with the purpose of understanding and strengthening the risk and control environment.
Your contribution at AIG
As a Leader, you are respected for your deep technical expertise and/or ability to oversee programs and processes. You balance the needs of multiple stakeholders, making sound decisions using data, analysis, experience, and judgment, along with a risk mindset. Ultimately, you take ownership for key outcomes.
- The VP of Risk and Controls will work directly with VFA and VALIC leadership, the business areas, Internal Audit, external examiners, etc. in on-going audit and monitoring activities.
- Demonstrate knowledge of VFA business areas, strategic initiatives, technology, regulatory requirements and corresponding risks to better facilitate discussions and audit reviews.
- Proactively work with each business function to understand past audit findings, current environment, planned initiatives and related change activities to asses risk and develop an internal controls framework.
- Perform a review of the annual audit plan and take point for the VFA business areas in each phase of the audits to understand scope, timing, risks, control issues identified and remediation needed.
- Design, produce and distribute reporting/dashboard consolidating information on audits in-process, risks, issues, remediation activities, dependencies, etc.
- Proactively identify potential gaps in delivery for change initiatives and facilitate actions to close issues and mitigate risks.
- Lead development of remediation plans ensuring plans are complete and address the root cause, testing to close deficiencies supports conclusion, and that the timing of the activities in the plan is accurate to ensure remediation is complete within the timeframe committed to by management.
- Facilitate and participate in the cultural transformation by incorporating risk and controls-based thinking to understand the interconnectivity of the business areas and downstream impacts to our customers.
- Bolster the customer culture within the organization with emphasis on improved efficiency and quality that impact customer experience and loyalty.
- Develop and nurture effective relationships with Audit, Compliance, Legal and other applicable regulatory entities.
- Oversee and report on VFA customer complaints, research and corrections
What we are looking for
- 10+ years of related experience required
- Thorough knowledge of risk and controls, audit methodology, remediation and on-going monitoring activities
- Strategic, creative, analytical and financial acumen as well as strong business intellect and action orientation
- Demonstrates ability to lead and inspire a team, to motivate and gain commitment and trust from VFA leaders in all business departments
- Communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to influence various levels of management and work across diverse business functions
- Passionate about strengthening the business performance and controls environment
- Ability to handle fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects and delivering a consistent track record of meeting deadlines
- Broad and innovative thinking with the ability to gather extensive amounts of information and synthesize them in concise reports, presentations and deliverables
- Analytical, creative-thinking and quantitative skills
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree preferred
- Professional certifications in Audit, Financial Services/Financial Planning, Life Insurance, Training Delivery and Deployment, Course Design/Development ore related fields is a plus
- Securities and insurance related licenses a plus
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.