Assistant General Counsel - Real Estate
LG - Legal, Regulatory & Gov't Affairs
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
AIG GLOBAL ASSET MANAGEMENT HOLDINGS CORP
The real estate investment activities of AIG Companies are conducted primarily by AIG Global Real Estate (AIGGRE). Founded in 1987, AIGGRE comprises a group of international companies within AIG that invests in and actively manages approximately $18.8 billion of real estate for clients and AIG member companies in various countries. AIG Global Real Estate is headquartered in New York with several regional offices, including Atlanta, London, Los Angeles, Mexico City, and San Francisco.
AIGGRE is actively involved in the acquisition and development of office, industrial, residential, retail and hospitality properties, facilities management, and fund management. These opportunities are pursued by each AIG Global Real Estate regional team with the cooperation and support of other dedicated groups operating within the firm, including Finance and Legal.
AIG Global Real Estate prides itself on the success of its transactions and relationships with investors and real estate partners. The successful candidate will be a skilled real estate attorney with experience representing institutional clients. The role requires a market-minded attorney who can work independently but seeks collaboration with other team members in support of AIGGRE's business growth. The position requires an attorney with the ability to run deals from inception to closing while managing outside counsel, making decisions on legal issues and providing counsel to business teams.
Principal responsibilities include:
- Legal support for transactional work arising out of AIG Global Real Estate, as well as all real estate transactions that may arise from strategic partnerships/joint ventures created by AIG Global Real Estate
- Legal support for investment fund related matters, including formation, investor relations and regulatory
- Review of Real Estate Investment Committee (REIC) proposals made by AIG Global Real Estate
- Creation and/or review of real estate investment structures
- Creation and/or review of acquisition, investment, sale/purchase, development, re-development and joint venture agreements relating to REIC-approved transactions
- Management of outside counsel providing primary support and review of transactional documents
- Establishment of forms and policies to facilitate AIG Global Real Estate goals and objectives, while protecting the firm's legal interest
- Required: JD or equivalent
- Required: four to six years experience with a major law firm
- Knowledge of:
- Real estate joint ventures
- Advice concerning title and land use issues
- Construction & permanent financing (representing the borrower)
- Corporate authority documentation and governance
- Real estate litigation/ADR
- Construction/development documentation
- Experience acting as the primary attorney responsible for both drafting and negotiating transactional documents
- Experience in a real estate development or construction environment preferable
- Experience in structured real estate vehicles and/or real estate investment funds a plus
- Financial background a plus
- Ability to adjust quickly to ever-changing business needs and priorities
- Knowledge of multiple product types and partnership documents a plus
- Individual must be able to network within the legal community to identify competent local counsel in the United States and elsewhere
- To be successful in this position the candidate must be able to delegate work to outside counsel and hold that team accountable.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.