Assistant General Counsel
LG - Legal, Regulatory & Gov't Affairs
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
Assistant General Counsel- Investment Company Act of 1940 (“1940 Act”)
Picture yourself building a successful career at AIG - SunAmerica Asset Management, LLC (SAAMCo) - working alongside other talented, highly motivated individuals committed to reaching our goal of becoming our industry's employer of choice. AIG is one of the largest insurance organizations in the United States and a leader in today's financial services marketplace. We believe that our success depends on a world class team. If you would like to be part of this exciting organization, we invite you to consider putting your talents to work with SAAMCo, the asset management company within AIG that acts as investment adviser and/or administrator to approximately 160 mutual funds (approximately $90 billion in assets).
SAAMCo is looking for a Counsel to join its legal department in Jersey City. Performance objectives in this position are as follows:
- Responsible for supporting all aspects of legal and regulatory matters relating to the firm's retail and annuity-dedicated funds. In particular, this individual would be involved in tasks relating to fund board of directors' meetings, fund registration statements, fund mergers, proxy and information statements and general fund matters
- Act as a key member of the team that leads disclosure initiatives across our fund complex
- Support board meeting management function for our three independent mutual fund boards of directors/trustees
- Assist with the research and development of new fund products - from initial vetting to launch; provide guidance and support on fund strategy and manager changes
- Provide support in connection with the handling of legal and regulatory matters relating to the firm's registration and activities as an investment adviser and commodity pool operator; provide support on brokerage committee matters
- Support on research and implementation of new regulations
- Provide support on negotiation of key fund agreements, including subadvisory agreements, and agreements with adviser and fund service providers; oversee review of trading agreements
- Frequently interact with numerous stakeholders, including investments, compliance, fund administration, the insurance product group, marketing and operations, in providing general legal advice relating to the funds
- Client-facing role - expected to help promote the Legal Department's positive culture and have excellent communication and relationship skills. Encouraged to support pro bono, volunteer and other employee engagement initiatives within the broader GLCR organization.
- Attorney with approximately 5 - 8 years of major law firm or relevant in-house experience. Experience relating to registered management investment companies (mutual funds), including in the Investment Company Act of 1940, Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and related securities and corporate laws.
- J.D. with strong academic credentials required
- Ability and desire to take on multiple clients and effectively prioritize projects and assignments for each client
- Excellent written and oral communications skills as well as strong organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment with a strong focus on teamwork; successful candidates will have a growth mindset with respect to their professional development
- Should be able to provide legal advice and demonstrate proficiency in handling complex legal matters involving multiple stakeholders; conduct independent analysis on legal matters with limited oversight
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.