FA - Finance
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): No Travel
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
Supervisory Accountant - Senior Accountant GAAP Financial Reporting Position Summary
Senior Accountant in the AIG Life and Retirement GAAP Financial Reporting group will be involved in overseeing GAAP accounting and reporting functions. The Sr. Accountant is responsible for developing, maintaining and implementing standard accounting practices in accordance with company policy and US GAAP. The position requires meeting tight deadlines for monthly, quarterly and annual closes. This requires ability to communicate effectively across multiple staff levels in the AIG finance organization. Accounting activities include developing GAAP compliant ledger transactions, applying GAAP for L&R product accounting, consolidation reporting for SEC and stand-alone insurer companies, maintenance of a complete and accurate general ledger and related reports, analytics, and reporting by legal entity and some regulatory filings. The responsibilities also include collaborative work with team members, including review of team member transactions, reporting and other related work products.
The key to success in this position is being proactive, detail oriented, dependable, focused on identifying opportunities to improve existing processes, willing to share ideas and recommendations. Organizational skills and a positive attitude will contribute to success in this position.
Organization Structure and Interfaces
This position reports to the Manager of GAAP Financial Reporting. This position works closely with Actuarial, Investment Accounting, Accounting Operations, FCU/Internal Audit, PWC and other internal and external business partners, including third party administrators.
- Timely and accurate reporting for monthly, quarterly and annual reporting closes, including stand-alone GAAP audits for 4 insurance entities.
- Maintain quality standards, accurate and complete documentation and accounting controls.
- Use SAP general ledger and Microsoft Excel to review monthly financial reports, journal entries, trend reports and analysis. Research to understand trends and variances, research new product accounting and communicate with appropriate staff to resolve issues and escalate issues when appropriate.
- Ensure all reporting deadlines, due dates and requirements set by financial management are met.Maintain appropriately documented support and monitor internal controls.Respond to ad hoc requests as needed.
- Identify process improvement opportunities to automate and streamline workflow and strengthen controls.
- Develop relationships with members of other departments to facilitate resolution of issues and stay informed of potential future issues.
- Support the Manager with special projects
The Ideal Candidate will have
- 5+ years in accounting and analysis required, supervisory experience a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting CPA certification a plus
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal enabling them to work effectively with team members and Senior leadership.
- Experience working in a mid-to-large, complex company environment is preferred.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.