Associate Director, Life Underwriting - Charlotte, NC
UW - Underwriting
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
The primary responsibility of the Underwriter is to accurately assess medical and financial risk, protecting the mortality results of the organization while also supporting sales. Underwriting team members interact frequently with our customers and therefore the role requires a customer centric and relationship focused attitude, excellent communication skills as well as accountability for accurate and prompt processing.
This position reports to the Underwriting Director and will work with Case Managers and Brokerage General Agencies (BGA's)
Visualizes, articulates, conceptualizes or solves both complex and uncomplicated problems by making sensible decisions, given the available information; able to apply the right level of detail in a given situation; captures decision detail and reasoning with well-written, concise documentation
The source of many good ideas; can brainstorm effectively; open to new methods, processes, or ways of performing work; proactively seeks alternative ways to meet objectives; can articulate how potential ideas may play out in the business environment; advanced critical path thinking
Able to get back to people in a timely manner regarding pertinent information; keeps others advised of statuses; provides clients with relative information to make informed decisions. Able to relay underwriting decisions and the basis for those decisions verbally in a positive manner that strengthens the relationship
Looks for alternative ways to cover a given risk; not just being a “box” underwriter (if it doesn't fit the box, decline the case); resolution focused vs. denial focused; determines proper risk classification, even if the risk is rare or unusual. Can see the big picture of influences in underwriting policy and guidelines. Able to understand & apply the spirit of the guideline and not just the written word.
Commitment to professional development (i.e., technical training, medical knowledge, industry certifications, etc.); adaptable to change; open to both receiving and providing feedback in a constructive manner; makes changes in behavior based on feedback and/or experience
The ability to work thoughtfully and effectively in a high stress environment. The ability to lead/motivate others and to effect positive culture change.
• Underwrite complex formal applications and informal quote applications with the ability to evaluate and take final action in an independent manner within approval authority guidelines.
• Analyze complex information and interpret to reach comprehensive medical and financial assessments based on company guidelines and policy.
• Effectively manage change, defuse conflict and negotiate positive results.
• Able to take a cross-functional view of work processes and understand the ramifications to other areas of actions taken and decisions made.
• Must be organized and able to manage a large caseload.
• Demonstrate superior technical underwriting knowledge and skills.
• Ability to provide training to internal and external customers on underwriting topics.
• Able to independently and effectively interact with a sophisticated field force dealing with an upscale market.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
• Experience with brokerage distribution marketplace.
• 10+ years of life underwriting experience with demonstrated competence and experience handling large face amount cases.
• Approval authority minimum of $7,000,000.
• FLMI or FALU or CLU or Series 6 designations preferred. Must be actively pursuing remaining designations.
• Bachelors Degree (or equivalent)
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.