New Business Shared Services Manager - Houston, TX
OP - Operations
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): No Travel
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
The American General Life Companies (AGLC) New Business Shared Services (NBSS) Department is responsible for supporting various aspects of New Business and Underwriting. The NBSS Manager will be responsible contribute to the accomplishment of AIG's objectives by meeting assigned goals through a team of employees, and manage relationships with internal and external customers.
The NBSS Manager will be responsible for all aspects of leading a team of New Business Processors to support our Distribution Partners.
Below are the critical performance objectives for success in this role:
- Relationship Management
- Seek to understand/clarify customer needs and obtain regular feedback on how the Team is meeting those needs
- Promote a customer-focused orientation and a climate of respect, cooperation, participation, and continuous improvement.
- Build and manage positive customer, employee and Sales Team relationships by resolving issues and complaints in a timely manner.
- Initiate problem avoidance measures and remove barriers to providing quality service.
- Develop a sound communication structure to foster communication with the team and management.
- Team Leadership
- Maintain and update job responsibilities as the team develops and roles are refined.
- Cross-train and deploy team resources within area of responsibility.
- Actively communicate priorities through huddles and formal team meetings. Share information with all employees on a regular basis.
- Evaluate overall performance of the team as well as each member. Coach and counsel team members individually and collectively toward improved performance. Develop & implement corrective action plans as needed.
- Work/Systems Management
- Define objectives for area of responsibility, consistent with department objectives and strategic company goals.
- Analyze, justify and negotiate necessary resources.
- Define performance standards, measures and controls. Evaluate overall performance of area of responsibility.
- Plan, develop and implement process improvements for your team or area of responsibilty.
- Participate in company-wide projects; manage departmental projects.
- Technical Consulting
- Educate team members, peers and customers on guidelines, procedures, policies, and systems in area of expertise.
- Review the work of others for technical accuracy, completeness, quality, and timeliness as required. Provide coaching to transfer technical skills and knowledge to others.
- In specific business situations, may perform more complex assignments or analytical tasks in area of expertise.
- Compliance Management
- Record any complaints that deal with legal matters or are of a regulatory nature and file Operational Risk Management (ORM) reports as necessary.
- Become knowledgeable on all Business Policies that affect area of expertise, and ensure compliance.
- Responsible for reporting any violations of Company policies or procedures by distributors or employees in accordance with the Company's policies and procedures related to violations.
- Adhere to Company policy on confidential and proprietary information.
Organization Reporting & Structure
This position reports to the Director of New Business Shared Services.
The Ideal Candidate Should Have:
- Bachelor's degree and 4 years supervisory experience in a high-production environment; a high school diploma plus 5 years related experience and 4 years supervisory experience can be substituted for a bachelor's degree). FLMI designation (or steady progress toward) is a plus.
- Solid knowledge of business principles, strategy, systems technology, process and operations.
- Ability to align team goals and activities with department and company goals.
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills.
- Experience in building and maintaining a high-performance team.
- Demonstrated coaching, counseling, consulting, group facilitation and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated record of initiative, adaptability, and real-time problem solving and decision making.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously involving various departments and levels of management.
- Planning, budgeting and project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, oral communication, presentation skills and business writing skills.
- Strong PC skills
- Hands on self-starter, with track record of learning new, complex topics.
- Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability.
- Track record of acting with a sense of urgency.
- Proven record of being an effective listener and communicator with customers and peers.
- Results focused with a track record of achievement.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to multitask.
- A keen attention to detail.
Performance will be measured by:
- Progress toward departmental goals/objectives
- Team quality, productivity, and timeliness measures
- Outcomes of improvement projects and efforts
- Customer satisfaction/feedback (internal and external)
- Employee development/career progression or satisfaction as measured by feedback and/or turnover.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.