Counsel - Insurance Regulatory and Transactional
LG - Legal, Regulatory & Gov't Affairs
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
In this challenging and dynamic role based in Houston, Texas, you will have the opportunity to work with a team of legal professionals who make up our Regulatory Team supporting primarily AIG's Life and Retirement (“L&R”) businesses, operations and legal entities (“L&R Regulatory Team”). The L&R Regulatory Team has a core complement of responsibilities as described below. In the role of Counsel, your primary role will be to advise and provide guidance on insurance regulatory matters and provide related transactional support for L&R's U.S. based life insurance companies. Additionally, you will be asked to work on and support all other facets of work managed by or coordinated through the L&R Regulatory Team. This is a dynamic, high-profile and client-facing position for a self-starting, intellectually curious lawyer who is willing to dive in to a number of new and challenging projects while at the same time tending to ordinary course matters needed to support the day-to-day workings of the L&R businesses, operations and legal entities.
The primary responsibilities of L&R Regulatory Team include the following:
- Providing general insurance regulatory and related transactional support for L&R insurance companies
- preparing and managing insurance regulatory filings under state insurance holding company and related insurance laws;
- supporting the management of L&R U.S. life companies' regulatory relationships with domicile states;
- providing legal review on general contracts and non-disclosure agreements; and providing general legal/regulatory support for L&R functional areas, including capital management, actuarial, accounting, enterprise risk management, and treasury teams; and
- consulting on proposed investment transactions involving L&R entities that may implicate insurance regulatory considerations;
- Supporting the management of our L&R insurance companies' state insurance exams, and states market conduct filings and regulatory inquiries
- day-to-day management in receiving market conduct regulatory notices and inquiries;
- coordinating responses to exams, filings and inquiries, and liaising directly with our regulators regarding such exams, filings and inquiries; and
- developing and helping to drive strategic advocacy positions in response to regulatory findings and negotiating fair and reasonable exam outcomes;
- Managing and supporting the L&R business lines' regulatory monitoring and advocacy function, and providing similar support to other AIG lines of businesses as may be requested (e.g., monitoring legislative and regulatory proposals, emerging areas of legislative or regulatory concerns/risks, and/or industry trends, in each case that impact our lines of businesses and operations); and
- Managing the L&R business lines' regulatory change management function (e.g., assess applicability of legislative and regulatory enactments that impact L&R business lines, and effectively communicate the same through established procedures to L&R internal stakeholders).
This position will be based in our Houston, Texas office, and will report to head of the L&R Regulatory Team.
Specific responsibilities of this position will include:
- Provide day-to-day legal and regulatory advice and guidance on L&R insurance companies' insurance holding company act-related matters and general insurance legal/regulatory needs, including structuring of investments and/or strategic transactions involving use of L&R insurance companies' balance sheets;
- Actively manage the preparation and timely filing of L&R insurance companies' insurance holding company act and related insurance regulatory filings (e.g., Form Bs, Form Ds, dividend notices and applications, and investment subsidiary filings);
- Review and provide guidance on financial statement disclosures involving L&R insurance companies, and disclosures pertaining to L&R segment in parent companies' public SEC filings and related matters;
- Provide day-to-day general legal and regulatory advice and/or support to L&R functional areas and L&R legal entities, including general contract review;
- Provide appropriate level of legal and regulatory support, including legal research, drafting and document review, on L&R insurance companies' state insurance exams and market conduct related inquiries and/or filings;
- Collaborate with and support L&R legal professionals with maintenance of L&R's regulatory monitoring and advocacy function, as well as the regulatory change management function;
- Provide support on special projects as requested, and travel for business expected (~25%); and
- Effectively work in a team environment, closely collaborate and provide team support with peers across Legal, Compliance and other control functions at the segment (L&R) and global (AIG) levels.
- Candidate must have a JD, be admitted to at least one state bar, and have at least 4 years of major law firm or relevant in-house experience - 5-7 years is preferred.
- Top academic credentials, excellent oral and written communication skills, in particular the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and simply and to present clear choices are required.
- Demonstrated abilities in review and handling of complex transactions, as well as experience in dealing with insurance regulators and/or regulators in general, are beneficial.
- Proven problem-solving skills that demonstrate ability to critically evaluate and analyze issues and recommend well thought-out and/or creative solutions.
- The candidate must have the ability and desire to take on multiple projects, effectively prioritize each project, and balance thoughtful decision making with careful and timely execution.
- Excellent references, maturity, judgment and poise are requirements for this position. Also expected of the successful candidate are: strong and effective organizational and interpersonal skills, and being highly accountable, dependable and motivated.
- We are focused on fostering and maintaining a collegial, professional, friendly, creative, entrepreneurial and supportive work environment. This is a client/business partner-facing role, and will also be required to work closely with peers in and outside of the L&R Regulatory Team. Accordingly, through his or her example, the successful candidate will be expected to take ownership of, and help to promote, our positive culture.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs (including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel), excellent technology skills (e.g., use of SharePoint sites, Archer and other platforms to meet Performance Objectives) and/or demonstrated willing to learn new technologies.
** this is an exempt position **
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.