Counsel - Institutional Markets
LG - Legal, Regulatory & Gov't Affairs
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
Counsel - Institutional Markets
Picture yourself building a successful career at AIG Life and Retirement working alongside other talented, highly motivated individuals committed to reaching our goal of becoming our industry's employer of choice. AIG Life and Retirement is one of the largest life insurance organizations in the United States and a leader in today's financial services marketplace. We believe that our success depends on a world class team. If you would like to be part of this exciting organization, we invite you to consider putting your talents to work with the AIG Life and Retirement Legal Team.
In this challenging and dynamic role, you will have the opportunity to demonstrate your legal expertise by being responsible for all legal aspects pertaining to the Institutional Markets business of AIG Life and Retirement.
This position is primarily dedicated to providing general contract, insurance regulatory and transactional legal support for operations of AIG Life and Retirement's Institutional Markets business. Areas of responsibility will include support of product development and ongoing support for terminal funding pension de-risking transactions, guaranteed investment contracts and the AIG Global Funding medium term note program, funding agreements, stable value wrap contracts, annuities (fixed and variable), life insurance (variable and COLI/BOLI), structured settlements, private placement products, reinsurance transactions and investments/capital markets matters. This will include drafting and negotiation of all relevant contracts and documentation as well as filings with applicable regulators. The position will also require general contract review, contract and insurance policy drafting and negotiation in relation to ordinary course transactions and business initiatives, drafting of policies and procedures in relation to corporate and business unit initiatives, support of legislative tracking and related matters, and special projects. Tax and ERISA knowledge is a plus.
This position will report to the Assistant General Counsel, responsible for legal affairs related to the Institutional Markets business of AIG Life and Retirement.
- Responsible for all aspects of legal and regulatory matters relating to AIG Life and Retirement Institutional Markets.
- Frequent interaction with the senior officers of AIG Life and Retirement.
- Provide legal advice with respect to product development, transactional, insurance regulatory, contract negotiation, operational and compliance matters.
- Negotiation of agreements.
- Communication with regulatory authorities, as necessary
- Participate in functional projects as well as cross-functional projects within AIG Life and Retirement.
- Travel will be necessary from time to time.
The ideal candidate should have:
- At least 1 year of major law firm or in-house experience in the financial services or insurance industry.
- Experience with drafting, mark-ups and negotiation of agreements.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment and to find creative solutions on diverse matters requiring complex legal and strategic analysis.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Strong organizational, time management and project management skills.
- Must be capable of working independently and/or as part of a team.
- Good judgment and ability to provide timely legal advice.
- Ability to identify and develop solutions to legal and business risks.
- JD required.
- Admittance to at least one state bar.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.