Business Analyst - Science
FA - Finance
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
AIG Employee Services, Inc.
The Science team at AIG develops AI-first products (apps and services that use machine learning to inform and assist their users) for both the insurance and investment arms of AIG. This is mainly achieved through:
- Incubation of disruptive innovation (through scientists, engineers and designers working together)
- Machine learning R&D (and publication in top AI/ML conferences and journals)
- Machine-learning advisory / consultancy to AIG's global businesses
The resulting solutions and innovations aim to reinvent AIG's internal processes, improve AIG's offerings to its clients (in line with the company's mission to be its clients' most valued insurer), and ultimately disrupt the wider insurance industry.
As a critical role in Science's success, we are looking to hire Business Analysts to join our team and contribute to and guide the development of innovative products (at the intersection of science, engineering and design) and delivery of scientific advisory - to stakeholders, both inside and outside AIG.
This is an exciting opportunity for those who want to enjoy state-of-the-art R&D and be challenged and grow in InsurTech / FinTech and “AI-first” product innovation; along the way this role will contribute to game-changing products for the multi-trillion-dollar insurance industry and use AIG's (the world's largest insurer by many metrics) global network to deliver impact and change.
Responsibilities and Performance Objectives:
- Work with project leadership to define project scope and develop approach, financial business cases, and justification
- Work with business stakeholders to deliver solutions that fulfil their needs
- Creatively problem solving complex business and data challenges that others in the business or in Science cannot solve
- Lead workshops and meetings to develop an understanding of business processes and how data science outputs can fit into those processes
- Collaborate with the Science team to ensure detailed understanding of the requirements which therefore results in timely and accurate delivery
- Collaborate with data analysts to enable direct delivery of the business requirements & building of effective analytical models
- Come up with creative solutions to business challenges related to what the Science team is delivering
- Strategic thinker who can be persuasive with senior stakeholders
- Presented complex analytical outputs to senior (Director and Board level) staff
- Degree in business strategy related topic (e.g. Finance, Economics, Marketing, Business Studies), ideally MBA
- Extensive experience in using Microsoft Office tools (such as Excel and Access) for analytical and reporting purposes - using advanced techniques (e.g. Pivot tables, data queries, complex formulas etc.),
- Specific project experience that has generated direct, measurable, financial benefits
- Experience of working across different industries including consultancy
- Have worked in projects that have utilized very large databases / datasets
- Comfortable engaging with statistical technical experts and senior business stakeholders
- Prepared to take ownership and accountability for deliverables
An ideal candidate (is not required to, but) will also have:
- Exposure to Machine Learning/ Artificial Intelligence products
- Experience of working using Lean/Agile frameworks
- Knowledge of user centered design
- Knowledge of elements of quantitative finance, should be comfortable applying theory to development of products
- Experience in the finance industry and familiarity with fixed income portfolios preferred
- Ability to solve problems creatively and, where necessary, pragmatically
- Be passionate about digital and the opportunities it can create for changing businesses
- Have had some exposure to new product design, design thinking or human-centered design
- Passionate about developing effective and efficient data science solutions applied to real business problems
- Comfortable and effective in working in teams and on own initiative where required
- Interest in aspects of the insurance business and processes (e.g. underwriting, claims adjusting, finance and accounting, risk management and operations)
- Experience collaborating with diverse teams of global resources to deliver projects.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.