Counsel - AIG Investments
LG - Legal, Regulatory & Gov't Affairs
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): No Travel
Relocation Provided: No
AIG GLOBAL ASSET MANAGEMENT HOLDINGS CORP
The AIG Investments Legal Group is currently seeking a lawyer for its New York Office.
The Counsel's primary role will be to advise AIG Investments, one of the world's largest institutional investors, with respect to investment, corporate governance and regulatory matters, and assist senior lawyers with respect to alternative investments and legacy investment assets managed by AIG Investments for its clients. This is a dynamic position with a broad remit, ideal for a motivated junior lawyer looking to expand his or her practice. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Investment and Corporate Governance, Regulatory Reporting
- Manage all aspects of entity and committee governance, including with respect to entity Boards of Directors, investment committees, advisory committees and similar bodies globally
- Draft board resolutions, consents, organize and produce meeting materials and assist with maintenance of corporate records
- Assist senior lawyers with negotiation and drafting of legal agreements affecting AIG's investment management function, including investment management / advisory agreements, and maintain repository of all operative legal agreements
- Advise and assist AIG's risk management function with respect to all investment-related legal and governance matters
- Maintain and update policies and procedures concerning trade authorizations, credit limits, market limits, portfolio management and committee approvals
- Maintain and update investment governance database and website
- Provide advice regarding securities laws applicable to AIG Investments' business operations, including the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, and assist AIG Investments in fulfilling its obligations thereunder
- Assist with maintenance and certification of laws applicable to the AIG Investments business
- Prepare and file annual reports
- Alternatives, Equities, External Mandates and Legacy Assets
- Assist with reviewing fund documents, prospectus and other related documents for potential private equity, hedge and direct equity investments
- Assist with reviewing subscription documents for hedge fund and private equity investments
- Coordinate with external investment managers to obtain information regarding underlying investments to satisfy AIG Investments' regulatory reporting obligations
- Advise and assist business teams that oversee legacy investment assets and assist with the wind-down or restructuring of discontinued investment businesses
Candidates must have a JD from a top law school, be admitted to at least one state bar (preferably New York), and have at least 2-4 years of major law firm or relevant in-house experience with a demonstrated focus on corporate governance, investment and general corporate matters. Prior experience with alternative investments, including private equity, hedge, direct and/or fixed income investments, and familiarity with the Investment Advisers Act, are also highly desirable. The candidate must have the ability and desire to take on and effectively prioritize multiple projects and clients.
Top academic credentials, excellent oral and written communication skills, excellent references, maturity, judgment and poise are requirements for this position. Excellent organizational and communication skills, in particular the ability to communicate concepts clearly and simply, and to present clear choices, are essential to this position.
AIG Investments prides itself on fostering and maintaining a collegial, professional, friendly, creative, entrepreneurial and supportive work environment. This role will be both highly visible to senior professionals and will have a direct impact on AIG Investments' legal and regulatory compliance. Through his or her example, the successful candidate will take ownership of, and help to promote, the Investments Legal Group's positive culture.
About AIG Investments:
AIG Investments is a global, diversified investment management business, providing investment advisory and asset management services to American International Group, Inc. and its affiliates worldwide.
The AIG Investments Legal Group provides legal services and advice to AIG Investments' business teams worldwide.
AIG Investments and AIG are Equal Opportunity Employers.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives