Senior Research Scientist
RK - Risk
Estimated Travel Percentage (%):
National Union Fire Insurance Co of Pittsburgh, PA
• Develop new analytical capabilities for creating custom solutions for clients in atmospheric perils, climate change, etc.
• Support client specific studies and write client proposals.
• Develop cutting edge underwriting and portfolio management tools for risk assessment from tropical/extra-tropical cyclones, winter storms, tornadoes and hailstorms.
• Conduct research and integrate scientifically derived trends, teleconnections and the impact of seasonal and long term climate factors into the modeling framework.
• Develop vulnerability functions for structural and non-structural components subjected to wind based on engineering analysis, information from the scientific literature and statistical analysis of historical damage and insurance claims data
• Responsible for developing and updating internal natural hazard related datasets/models and risk management tools.
• Perform in-depth validation of hazard and vulnerability components of catastrophe models from RMS and AIR.
• Ph.D. in Engineering, Meteorology, Atmospheric Sciences, or a related discipline
• Minimum 4 years experience in developing catastrophe models for atmospheric perils
• Strong background in probability and statistics
• Strong computer skills, including R, Python, Matlab, C++, GIS and SQL
• Excellent analytical, writing, communication, and organizational skills
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
AIG reserves the right to conduct a criminal background check, tailored to the requirements of a job, after a conditional employment offer is made. Unless otherwise required by law, AIG does not automatically exclude any applicant with a criminal conviction for a job or class or jobs. For more information about Philadelphia law specifically, copy and paste the following link within your browser: http://www.phila.gov/HumanRelations/PDF/BTB%20POSTER%20FINAL_3-9-16.pdf