Non-Managing Director - Life Underwriting - REMOTE
UW - Underwriting
Estimated Travel Percentage (%):
American General Life Insurance Company
This position can work REMOTELY from any location. The underwriting organization is responsible for underwriting new life applications with a focus on delivering a best in class customer experience. Underwriting team members provide medical and financial risk assessment on applications for individual life insurance applications.
The primary responsibility of the Underwriter is to accurately assess medical and financial risk, protecting the mortality results of the organization while also supporting sales. Underwriting team members interact frequently with our customers and therefore the role requires a customer centric and relationship focused attitude, excellent communication skills as well as accountability for accurate and prompt processing.
This position reports to the Underwriting Director and will work with Case Managers and Brokerage General Agencies (BGA's).
- Underwrite complex formal applications and informal quote applications with the ability to evaluate and take final action in an independent manner within approval authority guidelines.
- Analyze complex information and interpret to reach comprehensive medical and financial assessments based on company guidelines and policy.
- Effectively manage change, defuse conflict and negotiate positive results.
- Able to take a cross-functional view of work processes and understand the ramifications to other areas of actions taken and decisions made.
- Must be organized and able to manage a large caseload.
- Demonstrate superior technical underwriting knowledge and skills.
- Ability to provide training to internal and external customers on underwriting topics.
- Able to independently and effectively interact with a sophisticated field force dealing with an upscale market.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Experience with brokerage distribution marketplace.
- 10+ years of life underwriting experience with demonstrated competence and experience handling large face amount cases.
- Approval authority minimum up to $10,000,000.
- FLMI, FALU and/or CLU designations preferred.
- Demonstrated innovative thinking by developing new work processes, implementation of some technological advances or in some other way contributed to the organization's goals.
- Involved in projects that contribute to the organization's creative culture.
- Fosters an environment that is conducive to the embracement of ever- changing technological advances.
- Serve as a mentor to a junior underwriter by providing coaching and constructive feedback.
- Involvement in any projects supporting impairment research.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.