Vice President, Associate General Counsel
LG - Legal, Regulatory & Gov't Affairs
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): No Travel
Relocation Provided: No
AIG Global Asset Management Holdings Corp.
Associate General Counsel - Commercial Mortgage Lending
AIG Investments Legal Department
The AIG Investments Legal Department is currently seeking a Vice President - Associate General Counsel for its New York office. This position reports to the Deputy General Counsel, AIG Investments.
The Associate General Counsel's primary role will be to advise AIG Investments, one of the world's largest institutional fixed income investors, with respect to the investment activities of its Commercial Mortgage Loan (“CML”) investment team. CML has offices in New York, London, Houston and Los Angeles, and focuses on real estate-related financing and investment transactions, including mortgage loan originations, syndications and securitizations, mezzanine investments, secondary and portfolio acquisitions of commercial mortgage loans, as well as associated loan modifications, loan servicing, workouts, foreclosures, and the management, leasing and sale of real estate owned properties. This is a dynamic, high-profile and client-facing position for a self-starting lawyer willing to dive in to a number of new and challenging projects. Specific responsibilities will include:
• Provide day-to-day legal support to CML and oversee external counsel with respect to the evaluation, formulation, negotiation, maintenance and disposition of commercial mortgage-related investments and products, including:
• underwriting, structuring and origination of transactions
• risk analyses
• documentation and closing
• consents, waivers and similar asset management matters
• workouts, restructurings and foreclosures
• servicing matters
• management of REO properties
• Advise and assist internal clients regarding the governance of the CML business, including active participation in CML's investment committee process, advice concerning regulatory and ethical obligations, and ensuring adoption of best-in-class practices and procedures;
• Manage all aspects of relationships with external counsel and other professionals representing AIG Investments, including creating, maintaining and updating forms for use by external counsel and internal clients;
• To the extent appropriate, advise, and provide legal and regulatory support for, other asset class teams within AIG Investments, as well as support for matters and projects affecting AIG more broadly.
Candidates must have a JD from a top law school, be admitted to at least one state bar (preferably New York), and have at least 7 years of major law firm or relevant in-house experience with a demonstrated focus on commercial mortgage lending, mortgage-related structured products, loan syndications and similar investments and products. Demonstrated experience with workouts and restructurings of mortgage-related investments and products is also beneficial.
Other qualifications include: top academic credentials, excellent oral and written communication skills (in particular the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and simply and to present clear choices), maturity, judgment and poise. The successful candidate will have the ability and desire to work independently on multiple deals, and to prioritize deals and projects intelligently in accordance with CML's strategic priorities.
AIG Investments prides itself on fostering and maintaining a collegial, professional, friendly, creative, entrepreneurial and supportive work environment. This is a client-facing role; accordingly through his or her example, the successful candidate will be expected to take ownership of, and help to promote, the Legal Department's positive culture.
About AIG Investments:
AIG Investments is a global, diversified investment management business, providing investment advisory and asset management services to American International Group, Inc. and its affiliates worldwide.
The AIG Investments Legal Department provides legal services and advice to AIG Investments' business teams worldwide.
AIG Investments and AIG are Equal Opportunity Employers.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives