Senior Data Modeler - Hadoop Ecosystem
IT - Information Technology
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
Sr. Data Modeler - Hadoop Ecosystem
Your future team
Our technology teams collaborate with their worldwide colleagues and partners every day to take on the challenges of providing IT support to one of the world's leading financial services firm. We're people who believe that with the right values and hard work, anything is possible. We know that if we're at our best, that enables our customers to be their best and realize their dreams and hoped for successes. The Information Technology group provides enterprise-wide IT solutions for all of AIG's specialized disciplines. Technology provides strategic and procedural support in all of AIG's specialized disciplines, such as policy issuance, premium collection, claims handling, and administration. It enables AIG to deliver business strategies through efficient world-class IT and operations services, while ensuring the necessary IT risk management and security measures are in place.
AIG is seeking a Big Data Hadoop Senior Data Modeler to become a contributing team member in designing, developing, and deploying strategic solutions in a Big Data platform for the IT Life, Health, and Disability pillar of the organization.
The candidate will be part of the Information Management organization responsible for architecting and developing a Data Integration Hub enabling AIG to leverage data as an asset by providing a single authoritative view of the business, providing a layer of separation between our complex data sources and our data consumers; thereby, providing each data layer to evolve independently.
Your contribution at AIG
As a Leader, you are respected for your deep technical expertise and/or ability to oversee programs and processes. You balance the needs of multiple stakeholders, making sound decisions using data, analysis, experience, and judgment, along with a risk mindset. Ultimately, you take ownership for key outcomes.
- Architect, design, and conceptually, logically, and physically model data that exists in sourcing systems, data lakes, data warehouses, and data marts supporting the Big Data Hadoop ecosystem supported solutions.
- Design complex insurance industry standard data models based on the ACORD principals.
- Develop conceptual subject area data models and data flow diagrams.
- •Develop and maintain metadata definitions for sourcing data stores and all evolutions of the Data Lake from ingested sources to consumers.
- Communicate, present, and apply data modeling best practices to support application performance, application storage efficiency, and system extensibility.
- Work closely with administrators, architects, and application teams to insure applications are performing well based on modeling designs deployed.
- Facilitate data requirements meetings with stakeholders to drive modeling solutions.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive data model documentation and metadata repositories.
- Assist developers with query development and performance optimization.
- Work closely with Management and Data Analyst teams to achieve company business objectives.
- Collaborate with other technology teams and architects to define and develop solutions.
- This is a hands-on role.
What we are looking for
Strong working knowledge of ACORD.
- Experience within the Life Insurance industry space preferred.
- Excellent technical and organizational skills.
- Strong communication and team skills.
- Proficiencies with Agile development practices.
- Experience with and strong understanding of Data Warehousing and Big Data Hadoop ecosystems.
- Experience with relational and dimensional data modeling.
- Experience with canonical modeling for enterprise integration solutions.
- Strong knowledge of reporting modeling concepts, including dimensional, snowflakes, slowly changing dimensions, and surrogate, compound and intelligent keys.
- Experience in designing Big Data tables, column families, Hive and HBase database designs within HDFS a strong plus.
- Project experience in Hortonworks Hadoop distribution a plus.
- Experience in using data modeling tools like Erwin.
Background and experience desired:
- The position calls for a seasoned IT professional with senior leadership qualities and background with a minimum of 10 years' experience in IT.
- 8+ years of experience building and managing complex data model solutions.
- 4+ years of experience with distributed, highly-scalable, multi-node environments utilizing Big Data ecosystems highly preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or related field preferred, or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of experience in the IT Industry.
What our IT Employees like most about working for AIG:
- Employee atmosphere and people approach
- Career path and growth potential
- Paid Time Off (AIG recognizes the importance of work life balance)
- Generous Benefits Plan: Medical, Dental & Vision Coverage
- Company opportunities for charitable participation and giving
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with company match
- Opportunity to travel to other worldwide AIG locations
- Flexible spending accounts & Insurance Coverage
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.