Head of Underwriting Quality Assurance & Governance - Personal Insurance - New York
UW - Underwriting
Estimated Travel Percentage (%):
National Union Fire Insurance Co of Pittsburgh, PA
- Drive UW quality control strategy for Personal Insurance.
- Design and monitor the UW authority process and review across Personal Insurance.
- Lead Personal Insurance Governance processes and overall framework.
- Create global underwriting quality control guidelines, protocols, reporting templates and criteria for major line with minor line specifics as needed
- Work with Global LOB and countries management to suggest iterative changes to underwriting guidelines, policy and procedure to reflect changing regulatory, environmental and market dynamics
- Lead, provide direction to and manage product line underwriting quality control team in delivering quality reviews to Global, regional and local management as per schedule and within benchmark timeframes
- Coordinate training sessions for all relevant product line staff regarding changes in underwriting quality control protocols, procedures, guidelines and reporting format
- Maintain current and in depth knowledge of product line underwriting reporting tools and management priorities
- Understand product line risk appetite and work with product line to understand regional and country risk evaluations and profiles
- Manage timely delivery of annual product line underwriting quality control schedule reflecting tier status and current issues such as profitability or management change
- Conduct/lead local office underwriting quality control reviews in each region, particularly for major countries.
- Work with underwriting quality control staff in analyzing review findings and recommendations, and ensure that both product line management and Assurance Forums are provided with both informal “real time” feedback and a formal quarterly report which includes an “Implications” section ( e.g., training requirements)
- Identify underwriting quality control gaps and overlaps and work with appropriate Assurance functions to define and implement clear roles and responsibilities changes
- Design, build and maintain the PI governance dashboard & cadence (weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly forums, reviews and meetings covering but not limited to projects, pricing, investment, budget in partnership with Business & Function leads.
- Accountable for designing, reviewing and maintaining Personal Insurance UW authority and associated guidelines across Personal Insurance LOB in partnership with Global LOB. Track proper implementation.
- Ensure a robust and systemic PI Market Intelligence review is being delivered to the management, capturing market trends, products and competitors updates, giving the team actionable data & information.
Leadership & Technical skills
- Solid industry experience with a Property and Casualty carrier of significant market size with management positions in underwriting required (10 years minimum)
- Good experience in underwriting a full range of product line products, utilizing and creating portfolio management tools while working with differing distribution channels
- Excellent knowledge of at least one product line's underwriting guidelines, processes, management controls and pricing methodologies
- Experience in working with Actuarial department in product line actuarial reviews and all Assurance functions-SOX, Compliance, IAD, etc
- Working knowledge of international corporate structures; regulatory regimes and requirements; of multinational programs, processes and systems, RMG and/or international RM business; and of international and/or N. American underwriting systems
- Demonstrated business judgment and interpersonal skills, to use initiative and work independently, as well as in concert with general management, underwriting management and service center management
- Demonstrated influencing and negotiating skills across business units and borders
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, organization, problem solving and time management skills
- International product line management position or N. American company underwriting management position with responsibility for product line P+L, setting and accomplishing strategic plans and budgets, oversight of product line underwriting guidelines, policy and procedures.
- Percentage of travel: 25%
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives