Assistant Actuary - Experience Studies
AC - Actuarial
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): No Travel
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
The Assistant Actuary is a key member of the actuarial Experience Studies Team. The Experience Studies Actuaries are responsible for developing and maintaining experience studies in support of assumption setting, earnings explanation and business analysis for multiple product lines within AIG's Life and Retirement business. With customers including Valuation, Cash Flow Testing, Pricing, Enterprise Risk Management and the supported business leaders themselves, there are many requests to improve our assumptions and our assumption setting process and analysis of policyholder behavior and mortality.
This is a key role with responsibility and involvement across the entire range of Life and Retirement business units, with a primary focus on supporting Group Retirement Annuities and development and ongoing measurement of dynamic policyholder behavior. The role also supports Individual Annuities, Life and Health, and Institutional Markets teams as the need arises. The job will include working directly with customers within and outside of actuarial, researching methodologies and techniques in external literature, and proposing and implementing approved studies within the Experience Studies unit. Equally important to the analysis is the documentation supporting the analysis, so strong written and oral communication skills are critical.
Organization Structure and Interfaces
This position reports to the Vice President of Experience Studies. This position works in a collaborative manner with the Experience Studies Actuaries and Data Support teams, Valuation Actuaries, Enterprise Risk Management, Finance, and the supported businesses.es within AIG. There is significant interaction with functional operations areas such as IT, operations, claims, Finance, Internal Audit, and other areas in various locations including Woodland Hills CA, Neptune NJ, and Nashville TN.
Key Performance Objectives
• Work with Experience Studies team to develop, improve and document experience studies reports and analyses
• Assist in preparation of both quarterly and annual monitoring and reports
• Respond to stakeholder requests in a timely fashion
• Design and implement dynamic behavior studies for group retirement annuities, working in conjunction with a cross-functional team
• Identify additional source data from internal and external sources to supplement existing information
• Assist in development and maintenance of risk and stress factors as needed
Supporting Performance Objectives
• Develop and manage effective internal and external relationships.
• Identifying opportunities to improve resource allocations and collaborate with other work groups across AIG to build a world class financial organization.
• Stay informed of trends in the industry.
The Ideal Candidate Should have
• An undergraduate degree is required.
• 3-5 years of progressively more responsible actuarial experience with Life and A&H products.
• General Life, Retirement and A&H product and risk knowledge
• Experience working with databases and with analytic software such as R and SAS is preferred
• Demonstrated success working in cross-functional collaborative teams and in working with senior management.
• Highly motivated and results-oriented.
• Strong analytical problem solving ability.
• Desire to deliver a complete work product
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal, negotiating, and communication skills.
• Highly organized with a drive for transparency and efficiency.
• Aptitude to handle multiple projects simultaneously & successfully.
• Must be a creative thinker.
• Excellent team player.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives