Associate Counsel, Litigation
LG - Legal, Regulatory & Gov't Affairs
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
American General Life Insurance Company in Houston, Texas has an opportunity for an attorney. In this position you will work in a life insurance company that is part of a global insurance and financial services organization.
- Manage a litigation docket consisting of claims and general litigation matters;
- Provide legal advice and guidance to business and related partners;
- Prepare and maintain accurate and complete reports and schedules for litigated matters;
- Provide legal support and assistance as needed to track, analyze, and report on legislative and regulatory developments as well as industry trends that may impact business units. Assist in the drafting and implementation of policies and procedures in response to such new regulatory requirements;
- Strong academic background and B.S./B.A. and J.D.;
- Current admission to practice law in Texas;
- 2-4 years' experience in commercial litigation with insurance coverage and bad faith experience preferred;
- Experience in dealing with insurance regulators and regulations a plus; and
- In-house experience useful but not required.
To succeed in this position, the successful candidate must possess the following skills:
- Strong initiative and work ethic;
- Focused attention to detail and honed analytical skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Flexibility and a willingness to adapt to changing needs of the organization and/or business clients;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to manage competing priorities in a fast paced environment;
- Ability to deliver creative and well-reasoned plans to resolve challenges and to execute on such plans;
- Ability to thrive in an environment where coordination and teamwork is a priority while also being committed to individual accountability and results;
- Ability to motivate and supervise paralegal and administrative staff; and,
- Willingness to be mentored and trained to meet the needs of the organization.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives