Senior Associate - Asset Management (Affordable Housing)
IN - Investment
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 50%
Relocation Provided: No
AIG ASSET MANANGEMENT US LLC
AIG GLOBAL REAL ESTATE - AFFORDABLE HOUSING
Position Title: SENIOR ASSOCIATE - Asset Management
Position Reports To: Vice President of Asset Management
Purpose of the Position:
The Senior Associate (SA) is a key management position for the company. The SA will assist in implementing the strategic direction for their region and will be responsible for maximizing the operating performance and value of the SA's assigned portfolio. The SA will report to, and work closely with, the Vice President of Asset Management, all internal departments, partners and managing agents.
The primary objectives of the SA are to optimize property value and preserve the company's benefit stream of tax credits, net cash flow and net sales proceeds from existing developments and to analyze and help underwrite the company's investment in new developments. These objectives are achieved through effective monitoring, evaluation and analysis of general partner, managing agent, market conditions and property performance. Asset manager responsibilities will be assigned primarily by region or developer/manager relationships.
- Review monthly and year-to-date property and portfolio operating performance comparing actual to budget/proforma variances. Recommend methods to reduce variances and improve performance. Coordinate with managing agent to minimize operating deficits. Schedule and evaluate periodic Section 42 compliance reviews using contract consultants and follow up on corrective actions. Maintain competent understanding of Section 42 requirements and operating policies.
- Oversee operating conformance with appropriate provisions of the partnership and property management agreements.
- Review property budgets by property management companies and make recommendations to improve cash flow and value. Physically inspect each property at least once annually. Review the physical structure for unusual deterioration or mismanagement.
- Analyze neighborhood, market conditions, trends and their impact on the property.
- Prepare annual report regarding the financial and physical conditions, risks and opportunities for the properties and portfolio. Assist in the coordination of the physical needs assessment with assistance of Construction Services Department prior to expiration of the Operating Deficit Guarantee (ODG) period for each development.
- Assist in the preparation of investment recommendation reports for new construction and rehabs to include an evaluation of the surrounding marketplace, demographics, suitability of affordable housing, the developer and manager's capabilities, the proposed physical improvements and the operating proforma of the property.
- Assist in the periodic review property management company qualifications and evaluate on-site management personnel and their supervisors.
- Maintain effective lines of communication with all partners, managing agents and internal departments and comply with management policies and procedures.
- Sustain awareness of industry business practices by participating in local, regional and national real estate associations, and governmental agencies.
- Conduct business following the company's Vision, Mission, Values, Goals, Policies, Procedures and in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- A strong working knowledge of property management, finance, tax credit requirements, and property operations is important.
- The position requires extensive travel.
- The SA must be skilled with spreadsheet analytical software and have a working knowledge of Excel, Word, Access, and other PC based software.
- It is vitally important that the SA possess excellent management and leadership capabilities and should contribute to the overall growth and success of the company.
- he SA must be bright, have strong investment acumen, motivated and possess excellent communication skills.
- The SA must possess a high attention to detail with strong analytical skills and have the confidence that their work product is accurate and complete.
- The SA should be an independent and flexible problem solver who can work in group settings with good political instincts and judgment. The willingness to accept responsibility for new projects and see existing projects through to completion is critical.
General education or equivalent: Minimum 7 years of multifamily portfolio management experience. Experience in Section 42 housing required. BA degree required.
Physical demands: Individual must be capable of sitting and working on a computer for prolonged periods of time. Must be able to speak clearly and understandably, hear communications by telephone and in person, type data into a computer and read data from a computer screen. Must hold a valid US Driver's License.
This position description does not promise or imply that the functions listed are the only duties to be performed or that the position may not change or be eliminated.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives