VP of Life Control Processes
OP - Operations
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
American International Group, Inc.
- Design, implement & optimize an overall internal controls function for the U.S. Life Insurance business in-line with the strategic priorities of the organization.
- The scope of this role spans across all U.S. Life functions with the purpose of understanding and strengthening the risk and control environment
- Represents the business both internally and externally, although this role has a primary internal focus; reports to the Head of Life Operations & Systems.
- Actively participates in the Life Operations & Systems Leadership Team and across U.S. Life which will drive the overall strategy and approach to identifying and mitigating key risks within the business areas.
- The V.P. of Risk and Controls will work directly with U.S. Life Leadership, the business areas, Internal Audit, Financial Controls Unit, Operational Risk Management, Compliance , Legal, Risk, external audit, etc. in on-going audit and monitoring activities
- Proactively work with each of the business functions to understand past audit findings, current environment, planned initiatives and related change activities to asses risk and develop an internal controls framework.
- Perform a review of the annual audit plan and take point for the U.S. Life business areas in each phase of the audits to understand scope, timing, risks, controls issues identified and remediation needed.
- Demonstrate knowledge of U.S. Life business areas, strategic initiatives, technology and corresponding risks to better facilitate discussions and audit reviews
- Design, produce and distribute reporting /dashboard consolidating information on audits in-process, risks, issues, remediation activities, dependencies, etc.
- Proactively identify potential gaps in delivery for change initiatives and facilitate actions to close issues and mitigate risks.
- Lead development of remediation plans ensuring plans are complete and address; the root cause, testing to close deficiencies supports conclusion, and that the timing of activities in the plan is accurate to ensure remediation is complete within the timeframe committed to by Management.
- Facilitate and participate in the cultural transformation by incorporating risk and controls-based thinking to understand the interconnectivity of the business areas and downstream impacts to our customers.
- Develop quantifiable metrics to demonstrate effectiveness of activities and to prove contribution to the achievement of overall U.S. Life strategic initiatives
- Ability to handle fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects and delivering a consistent track record of meeting deadlines.
- Broad and innovative thinking with the ability to gather extensive amounts of information and synthesize them in concise reports, presentations & deliverables.
- Bolster the Customer Culture within the organization, with emphasis on improved efficiency and quality that impact Customer Experience and Customer Loyalty.
- Develop and nurture effective relationships with Audit, Compliance, Legal and other applicable regulatory entities.
- Champion team and individual engagement, as well as leadership and personal development. Engage and energize the U.S. Life teams in the business strategy to accelerate the organization.
- Create and execute innovative stakeholder communications strategies to educate and inform key constituents and current supporters about activities and accomplishments.
- Thorough knowledge of risk and controls, audit methodology, remediation and on-going monitoring activities.
- Strategic, creative, analytical and financial acumen as well as a strong business intellect and action orientation.
- Manages effectively with vision and purpose, develops organizational capability, demonstrates solid flexibility orientation, as well as a bias toward effectively navigating continual change management.
- Demonstrates ability to lead and inspire a team, to motivate and gain commitment and trust from Life Leadership and all business areas. Hands-on collaborative style of working is essential.
- O utstanding communication and interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to influence various levels of management, and to work across diverse business functions and teams that are geographically dispersed.
- Passionate about strengthening the business performance and controls environment.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with strong program and project management skills.
Technical Skills and Expertise
- Deep understanding of the life insurance business and changing market dynamics
- Knowledge of multiple insurance distribution channels, as well as insurance business processes.
- 10+ years industry experience and deep understanding of risk and controls and audit practices; Big 4 or top tier management consulting experience preferred but not required
- Experience that includes hands-on risk identification, audit planning, execution and reporting experience and managing a team.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field is required; Master's degree is a plus, as is professional certifications in Audit, Financial Services/Financial Planning, Life Insurance, Training Delivery/Deployment, Course Design/Development, or related field.
- Analytical, creative-thinking and quantitative skills
- Successful track record in training, consulting, facilitating, managing and collaborating up, down, and across organization levels
- Ability to handle fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects and consistent track record of meeting deadlines.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives