Assistant General Counsel
LG - Legal, Regulatory & Gov't Affairs
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
Assistant General Counsel - Investment Company Act of 1940 (“1940 Act”)
Picture yourself building a successful career at AIG - SunAmerica Asset Management, LLC (SAAMCo) - working alongside other talented, highly motivated individuals committed to reaching our goal of becoming our industry's employer of choice. AIG is one of the largest insurance organizations in the United States and a leader in today's financial services marketplace. We believe that our success depends on a world class team. If you would like to be part of this exciting organization, we invite you to consider putting your talents to work with SAAMCo, the asset management company within AIG that acts as investment adviser and/or administrator to approximately 160 mutual funds (approximately $90 billion in assets).
SAAMCo is looking for an Assistant General Counsel to join its legal department in either Jersey City or Houston. This position will report to the Associate General Counsel on our mutual fund team. Performance objectives in this position are as follows:
- Responsible for supporting all aspects of legal and regulatory matters relating to the firm's retail and annuity-dedicated funds. In particular, this individual would be involved in tasks relating to fund board of directors' meetings, fund registration statements, fund mergers, proxy and information statements and general fund matters
- Act as a key member of the team that leads the board meeting management function for our three independent mutual fund boards of directors/trustees, including by supporting the annual contract renewal meetings
- Assist with the research and development of new fund products - from initial vetting to launch; provide guidance and support on fund strategy and manager changes
- Provide support in connection with the handling of legal and regulatory matters relating to the firm's registration and activities as an investment adviser and commodity pool operator; provide support on brokerage committee matters
- Provide support on negotiation of key fund agreements, including subadvisory agreements, and agreements with adviser and fund service providers; oversee review of trading agreements
- Support the firm's affiliated broker-dealer in connection with negotiating and reviewing selling and other agreements with financial intermediaries and on matters relating to fund marketing
- Frequently interact with numerous stakeholders, including investments, compliance, fund administration, the insurance product group, marketing and operations, in providing general legal advice relating to the funds
- Client-facing role - expected to help promote the Legal Department's positive culture and have excellent communication and relationship skills. Expected to support employee engagement and other initiatives within the broader AIG Life & Retirement Legal organization.
- Attorney with approximately 5 - 8 years of major law firm or relevant in-house experience. Experience relating to registered management investment companies (mutual funds), including in the Investment Company Act of 1940, Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and related securities and corporate laws.
- J.D. with strong academic credentials required
- Ability and desire to take on multiple clients and effectively prioritize projects and assignments for each client
- Excellent written and oral communications skills as well as strong organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment with a strong focus on teamwork. Should be able to effectively lead implementation of a variety of departmental projects and tasks with the support of less senior attorneys or paralegals
- Should be able to engage in direct negotiation with third parties and demonstrate drafting skills relating to matters of economic and/or legal significance
- Should be able to provide direct advice and support on significant matters and other diverse matters required complex legal and strategic analysis, subject to only limited supervision by more senior attorneys
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives