The portfolio analyst is a key member of the investment strategy group supporting individual portfolio management, portfolio construction and equity research functions. This person will work closely with the Director of Investments and Senior Portfolio Manager to assist in the implementation of the firm’s investment management process. This position requires strong interest in financial markets, intellectual curiosity, attention to detail, and ability to work in a team environment.
- Learn, execute and refine assigned trading activities relating to a dedicated client base. Will serve as primary point of contact for all questions relating to portfolio management of assigned client base.
- Assist in monitoring, evaluating, and implementing portfolio positions at both the asset class and individual company level. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Sector analysis and trend monitoring
- Individual company conference call analysis/earnings releases
- Generating succinct, written recommendations for portfolio changes
- Should have the ability to analyze client reporting information, understand/explain changes in the portfolio period over period and communicate investment results to Wealth Advisors/clients as needed.
- Partner with our 3rd Party Reporting Vendor to understand technology needs of our investment process maximizing utility.
- Serve as subject matter expert in maintaining data and software tools necessary to support the investment analysis framework.
- Demonstrated interest in financial markets with specific focus on a fundamental, value-oriented approach to global equity and fixed income.
- Ability to source and analyze unique investment ideas within the equity universe which may be included in firm proprietary strategies to include SMA and mutual fund vehicles.
- Ability to interact with corporate executives so as to ascertain a deeper understanding of the business.
- Potential to grow into a portfolio manager position with the opportunity to act as co-PM on the firm’s mutual fund.
- Demonstrated/documented success in equity selection.
- Some travel may be required in conjunction with the equity research process.
Client Communication: (as needed)
- Candidate will be able to communicate investment management strategy to end clients on an as-needed basis.
- Would be asked to speak to existing and potential clients for the firm’s mutual fund (Marathon Value Portfolio).
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 2 years of related industry experience minimum.
- Knowledge of investment management methodologies, asset classes and investment operations processes is required.
- Experience using some of the following tools: Tamarac Rebalancer, FactSet/Bloomberg, Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Professional.
- High level of curiosity. Skeptical but not cynical.
- Strong analytical and detail-oriented aptitude.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize work within a dynamic, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to learn and adapt to change. Constant learner.
- Team player, self-starter.
- Strong organization skills.
Salary and Benefits:
Pay/benefits are competitive based on industry standards.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Bonus will be based on achievement of objectives.
- Benefits include: health care, 401(k), optional life insurance and disability insurance, paid time off