Marine Underwriting Specialist
UW - Underwriting
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
National Union Fire Insurance Co of Pittsburgh, PA
Picture yourself building a successful career at AIG working alongside other talented, highly motivated individuals committed to reaching our goal of becoming the world's leading insurance provider. We believe that our success depends on building a world class team. If you would like to be a part of our team, we invite you to consider putting your talents to work with the AIG Global Marine Team.
AIG Global Marine is seeking a highly experienced Marine Underwriter to serve in the role of Marine Underwriting Specialist for our Hull and Marine Liabilities business segments. As a Marine Underwriting Specialist, you will assume an active role in the development and growth of a profitable portfolio of Hull / P&I and Marine Liabilities business in the Northeast Zone The ideal candidate will possess strong analytic, communication and negotiation skills and thrive in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
This position located in New York City and will report to the Northeast Zone Marine Leader.
Under general direction, the Marine Underwriting Specialist is to underwrite profitable new and renewal business in accordance with Global Marine Underwriting Guidelines and underwriting authority. In addition, the Marine Underwriting Specialist will:
- Support key Global Marine business initiatives
- Communicate risk appetite and AIG Value Proposition to brokers.
- Develop and manage robust relationships with key producers, clients and other relevant stakeholders throughout assigned territory.
- Rapidly evaluate, prioritize and select submissions to be underwritten.
- Work with broker to understand the deal structure, terms, and AIG Services that best meets clients' needs.
- Utilize his/her specific underwriting authority in accordance with Global Marine guidelines and objectives.
- Negotiate pricing, terms & conditions, and deal structure with brokers and clients to secure policy terms that align with the company directives.
- Where applicable, placement and binding of Facultative Reinsurance prior to policy inception.
- Collaborate with Zonal Managers, Sales & Marketing team and other AIG lines of business to effectively cross-sell AIG offerings.
- Minimum 6 to 9+ years of proven Hull/P&I and Marine Liabilities underwriting experience is required.
- In depth understanding of Hull and Marine Liabilities products, insurance markets and competitor landscape.
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong professional relationships with demonstrated sales/marketing experience.
- Existing well established relationships within local market
- Must be a fast learner and driven to action.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and troubleshoot critical issues.
- Ability to work in a high performance culture and adapt to rapidly changing environment.
- Capability to work well under time constraints and meet deadlines as required.
- Must be a team player.
- Flexibility to travel with some overnight travel required.
- Willingness to take professional development, insurance and marine related courses as necessary.
-Bachelor's Degree or equivalent required.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.