Assistant General Counsel, Group Retirement
LG - Legal, Regulatory & Gov't Affairs
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
American General Life Insurance Company
Picture yourself building a successful career at AIG Life and Retirement working alongside other talented, highly motivated individuals committed to reaching our goal of becoming our industry's employer of choice. AIG Life and Retirement is one of the largest life insurance organizations in the United States and a leader in today's financial services marketplace. We believe that our success depends on a world class team. If you would like to be part of this exciting organization, we invite you to consider putting your talents to work for AIG Global Legal Compliance & Regulatory team.
Group Retirement Business
AIG Life and Retirement's Group Retirement business, under the auspices of VALIC, is a leading retirement plan provider in the U.S. for K-12 schools and school districts, higher education, healthcare, government and other not-for-profit institutions. VALIC's service model pairs self-service tools with our career financial advisors who provide individual plan participants with enrollment support and comprehensive financial planning services.
The Group Retirement business includes group mutual funds, group fixed annuities, group variable annuities, and individual annuity and investment products; and financial planning and investment advisory services. These products and services are delivered to our clients through a 50-state insurance company, a retirement plan service provider, an SEC-registered transfer agent and SEC-registered broker-dealer/investment adviser. More information can be found at www.VALIC.com.
The Assistant General Counsel will handle a wide-array of legal issues and regulatory inquiries of Group Retirement's registered broker-dealer/investment adviser (the “Firm”). This role will require working closely with senior business and compliance professionals in addressing both day-to-day legal issues involving the Firm as well as supporting routine exams and for-cause matters with state/federal securities regulators and self-regulatory organizations (e.g., FINRA). Additional responsibilities will include rendering related legal advice and counsel to the Firm regarding the application of federal, state and FINRA rules and regulations.
This position will be based in Houston, Texas or Los Angeles, California. This position will report directly to the Associate General Counsel, Group Retirement.
- Provide strategic and tactical legal advice and transaction support on a wide variety of broker-dealer and investment advisory issues.
- Provide proactive and timely risk assessments and status updates of regulatory matters for executive management.
- Participate in regulatory examinations and prepare responses for inquiries relating to broker-dealer/investment advisory processes, procedures and transactions. Collaborate with appropriate stakeholders to develop and implement remediation plans for issues noted during examinations.
- Assist in drafting and updating of Form ADV disclosure brochures.
- Participate in the review of written complaints to determine if any required regulatory filings are necessary (including U4/U5 disclosures and 4530 event filings) and assisting Compliance professionals with those filings.
- Review vendor, product sponsor, sales/marketing materials and client forms and agreements.
- Assist in the review and consideration of new products, programs and services offered by the broker-dealer and investment advisory businesses.
- Draft and/or review supervisory procedures and compliance policies and procedures.
- JD degree required.
- Admission to a state bar association and currently in good standing.
- Minimum of 5 years of securities regulatory experience; prior employment with a federal, state or SRO securities regulator is desirable
- Experience working with investment advisory programs. Thorough understanding of investment advisory fiduciary responsibilities and appropriate disclosure of conflicts of interest
- Knowledge and familiarity with the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and SEC and FINRA regulations applicable to each
- Experience handing regulatory exams and investigations
- Adaptability and willingness to take on a wide variety of new tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to serve as a trusted advisor, strategic partner and collaborator with peers, leaders, and outside business partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including strong ability to advocate in writing and orally, and ability to deliver clear legal advice to wide variety of audiences
- Qualified retirement plan experience is preferred
- Minimal travel required
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.